Aligning People, Processes and Technology to Scale
Your company operates in a turbulent business environment where new technologies are reshaping industries, customer preferences are evolving rapidly and geopolitical equations are shifting dramatically.
If you’re struggling to adapt to these quick and challenging transitions, you’re not alone.
To tackle these issues as soon as possible, some business owners and leadership resort to quick fixes that don’t support customer or employee growth in the long run. For example, rushing through process implementations, technology upgrades and new hire training almost always results in botched executions and unnecessary confusion.
Building a foundation for sustainable scaling can allow you to scale up or down as needed without incurring lengthy downtime, constant technological upgrades or harming your bottom line.
The Sustainability Triad to Consider
It’s important to think about your people, processes and technology while implementing sustainable scaling.
The success of your business is dependent on the training and onboarding materials you provide for your employees and customers. Supporting them with easy-to-find, on-demand training relating to a problem they’ve encountered is a terrific way to help your company grow.
Also, ensure that those affected by significant changes are adequately informed. This will help reduce dissatisfaction, absenteeism and attrition. When people are effectively managed and supported, your business benefits in ways that often go overlooked, and a people-first culture can be fostered.
Your organization must have someone designated as the Chief Documentation Officer (CDO). The CDO keeps crucial process documentation updated — from IT processes to HR, marketing and beyond — so that anybody can quickly step in and assist whenever necessary.
Similarly, every other process must be carefully planned, monitored and managed so your daily operations run like a well-oiled machine.
When dealt with properly, technology can significantly support your people and processes. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when prioritizing sustainable scaling:
- Build around one platform. In other words, on the road to scalability, choosing products built to integrate or work together saves a lot of time and effort.
- After a few years, technology, like milk in your fridge, “expires” or becomes unsupported. To preserve security requirements, make sure certain technologies are replaced before they become unsupported.
- Commit to integration. While you can find a cheaper alternative, you typically only get value equivalent to the price paid. Instead of choosing the most inexpensive option, commit to selecting solutions that work with the business platforms you already have.
- Scan for vulnerabilities While having a good backup and recovery plan is ideal, it’s even better if you can combine it with a proactive approach that addresses gaps before hackers exploit them.
- Automate routine workflows. Ensure you have solutions in place to reduce the chances of error in the most critical areas of your business, regardless of whether it’s invoicing or anything with a small margin of error.
Partner for Success
It’s easier said than done to strike the perfect balance between people, processes and technology in order to scale your business sustainably. More often than not, it requires far more time, effort and skillsets than you have available. This is where The Calysto Group can come to your rescue!
Our knowledge and over twenty years of IT experience can make sustainable scaling a hassle-free journey. Our staff of expert technicians are ready to help you start your journey when you are, so reach out to us today for a no-obligation consultation!
Additionally, to learn more about what to consider when trying to achieve organizational sustainability, download our infographic “The Relationship Between Business Sustainability and Success” by clicking below.